In this highly useful lecture, Dr. Locke applies Ayn Rand's theory of volition to the process of study. The aspects of efficient studying that he addresses include:
1) the choice of what to study;
2) the choice of what goals to set (including their degree of specificity and difficulty);
3) the choice of what factors to consider when choosing goals;
4) the decision to commit oneself to one's goals;
5) the resolution of conflicts between one's study goals and other values; and
6) the actions taken to overcome failures to achieve one's goals.
(MP3 download; 90 min., with Q & A; 63 MB)